3 March, 2023 • 4 min read
Barcelona's Labyrinth Park, or Parc del Laberint d'Horta, is a hidden gem that offers a unique and memorable experience for visitors. With its stunning gardens, beautiful architecture, and ancient labyrinth, the park is a must-see destination for anyone visiting the city. In this article, we'll help you make the most of your visit.
History of the Park
The Labyrinth Park was created in 1791 by the Marquis of Llupià, who commissioned Italian architect Domenico Bagutti to design the park. The park's neoclassical design was influenced by Italian and French architecture, and it quickly became a popular destination for the city's aristocracy.
In the 19th century, the park was acquired by the Desvalls family, who expanded and improved the gardens. In 1967, the park was donated to the city of Barcelona and opened to the public.
Today, the park is a popular destination for both locals and tourists, offering a glimpse into the city's rich history and natural beauty.
How to Get There
The park is located in the Horta-Guinardó district of Barcelona, and there are several ways to get there. The easiest way is to take the metro to Mundet station (Line 3), which is a short walk from the park. You can also take bus numbers 27, 60, 76, or 92 to the park. Taxis are also available, and you can use ride-hailing apps like Uber and Cabify to get there.
The park is open every day of the year except for a few holidays (January 1, May 1, and December 25).
The park's hours vary depending on the season, so it's best to check the official website before you go. From April to September, the park is open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. From October to March, the park is open from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Best times of year to visit
The park is open year-round, but the best time to visit depends on personal preferences and the weather. Spring and fall are generally the most pleasant times to visit, with mild temperatures and fewer crowds. Summer can be hot and crowded, while winter may be chilly and rainy. Visitors should also check the park's website for information about seasonal events and special activities.
Throughout the year, Labyrinth Park hosts a variety of special events, including concerts, festivals, and outdoor movie screenings. These events may have different hours of operation or require special tickets, so visitors should check the park's website for up-to-date information before planning their visit.
Admission to the park is €2.50 for adults and €1.25 for children and seniors. Tickets can be purchased at the park's entrance, and there are no advanced ticket sales. Cash and credit cards are accepted.
In addition to exploring the labyrinth, there are several other activities to enjoy at Labyrinth Park. Some popular options include:
- Admiring the park's beautiful gardens, including the romantic garden, neoclassical garden, and waterfall.
- Visiting the park's museum, which showcases the history and evolution of the park.
- Relaxing in one of the park's many picnic areas or playgrounds.
- Taking a guided tour of the park to learn more about its history and significance.
Cafes and Restaurants Near
If you're looking for a bite to eat before or after your visit to Labyrinth Park, there are several cafes and restaurants in the area. Some popular options include:
- Can Cortada: This traditional Catalan restaurant is just a short walk from the park and offers delicious tapas and a cosy atmosphere.
- El Racó de Sant Gervasi: This restaurant is located in the nearby Sant Gervasi neighbourhood and offers a variety of Mediterranean dishes and a stylish setting.
- Cafeteria Park Horta: Located inside the park, this cafeteria offers a range of snacks and drinks, including coffee, sandwiches, and pastries.
Photo: Can Cortada restaurant
Hotels and Hostels Near
There are several hotels and hostels near Labyrinth Park, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxurious accommodations. Some popular options include:
- Hotel Alimara Barcelona: This 4-star hotel is located near the Mundet metro station and offers comfortable rooms and a restaurant.
- Hotel Park Guell: This budget-friendly hotel is located near the famous Park Guell and offers affordable rooms and a rooftop terrace.
- Generator Barcelona Hostel: This trendy hostel is located in the Gracia neighbourhood and offers dormitory-style rooms and a bar.
- Park Guell Apartments: Located just a few minutes walk from the park, these apartments offer a range of amenities, including a pool and a terrace.
The park is partially accessible for visitors with disabilities, with ramps and accessible pathways in some areas. However, some parts of the park, including the interior of the labyrinth, may be difficult to navigate for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility. The park also offers assistance for visually impaired visitors, including audio guides and tactile maps. Visitors with disabilities are advised to contact the park in advance to discuss their needs and arrange any necessary accommodations.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as there is a lot of walking to do in the park.
- Bring a water bottle and snacks, especially if you plan to spend several hours in the park.
- Consider visiting early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid crowds.
- If you're travelling with kids, bring a map of the park and encourage them to explore on their own.
- Don't miss the Minotaur statue hidden in the labyrinth!
- Visit the park during the spring or fall when the weather is mild and the gardens are in bloom.
In conclusion, Barcelona's Labyrinth Park is a must-see destination for anyone visiting the city. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and beautiful gardens, the park offers a unique and unforgettable experience. Whether you're looking to explore the labyrinth, admire the gardens, or simply relax and enjoy the scenery, Labyrinth Park is the perfect destination.
So, if you're planning a trip to Barcelona, be sure to add Labyrinth Park to your itinerary. With its neoclassical design, charming cafes and restaurants, and convenient location, it's the perfect place to spend a relaxing afternoon or a romantic evening. With our pro tips, you'll be able to make the most of your visit and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Exploring the Best Shopping in Barcelona
From Luxury Brands to Vintage TreasuresRead article